Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Alexander McQueen Spring 2011 Inspired Makeup


The second look in my Alexander McQueen inspired series is the first show by Sarah Burton. This show was her first full collection for the house. Many people were quite excited to see what she would do because she worked with McQueen so closely, about 15 years. 

This collection was very much about lightening the brand and taking away a lot of the darkness that came with previous show and making it more feminine. Sarah said that she was inspired by nature and women losing their identities, "almost as if she's being taken aback by nature."

The show started quite strong suit like pieces, with slashed shoulders and light fabrics, then progressed into dresses with prints and string silhouettes. Leaf embroidery and applique progressed into woven sting and wheat dresses (quite literally) and then went into gowns with even more embroidery. 

My absolute favorite looks were a trio of dresses (image above) that looked like they had been woven from grass or something then appliqued with fronds of wheat. So that was where I took inspiration from for the makeup look I created.



So for the makeup look I kept the idea of very organic and earthy colors but making a bit of an impact. Really natural but still feel as though you're wearing makeup kind of feel.

I started by applying a deep hunter green eye shadow pigment all over the eyelid, but decided it was too much. So I took and gold and just brushed it over the top to diffuse the color a bit. I then took a chocolate brown color and popped it into the crease and then took an ivory and put it under the eyebrow. I then curled the eyelashes (SUPER WELL) and applied mascara. I also put in the orange in the inner corner for another favorite piece from the collection. A dress made of hand painted feathers made too look like butterflies.



I decided to keep with the traditional Alexander McQueen look of perfect skin for the face. I just applied a touch of peach blush and that was it!


For the lips I just concealed their natural color with foundation then applied a nude lip gloss on top. 

I really hope you enjoy this look and till next time! :)

For the full collection: http://www.style.com/fashion-shows/spring-2011-ready-to-wear/alexander-mcqueen
Or to learn more about the brand, look through their old shows or shop: Alexandermcqueen.com
Photos courtesy of Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment